If you are looking for a new family dinner this easy Meatball Parmesan Casserole recipe should be it. Juicy, flavorful meatballs baked until golden and then covered with tomato sauce and cheese.
My Meatball Casserole low carb recipe was a hit with my family and should be a hit with yours. This is keto, low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and a THM S recipe.
Why a Meatball Parmesan Casserole?
When I was in college I was still a vegetarian. One of my favorite meals from the dining hall takeout was a vegetarian Italian meatball parmesan sub. I have no idea what those “meat” balls were made of and I probably don’t want to know but it was really good.
It was smothered in tomato sauce and topped with provolone. I’d look forward to Tuesdays so I could get dining hall take-out and my favorite meatball parmesan sub. Almost fifteen years later that is the only dining hall food I recall and that is my inspiration for my meatball casserole.
How to make Meatball Parmesan Casserole
To make this meatball casserole low carb recipe you only need a handful of common ingredients: ground meat, ground sausage, egg, zucchini, shredded cheese, marinara sauce, and a few dried herbs.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated or shredded parmesan
- 1 shredded zucchini about 1 cup
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup no sugar added pasta sauce
- 8 oz shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix thoroughly. Make about 24 meatballs and put them in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Carefully drain the cooking liquid from the casserole dish.
- Top with the sauce and cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Optional: I broiled for 3-4 minutes at the end to toast the cheese. Watch it carefully if you put it under the broiler. The cheese can burn easily.
Substitutions: you can use any type of ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken) and any type of Italian sausage (pork, chicken, or turkey) in these meatballs. You may also omit the zucchini or sub in chopped spinach if you prefer.
-Don’t miss! A Secret “CARB TRICK” That Burns Up To 1 Pound Per Day
Are you tired of dieting, counting calories and killing yourself in the gym? You are doing everything right and still can’t achieve the desired weight?
A 40-year-old Sarah Donovan burned away 22 pounds in just 13 days with this strange “carb-pairing” trick, without exercise or starving.